The demand for web content keeps growing every year. But unfortunately, users’ search queries don’t always result in success. People often come across unoriginal information that does not carry any value to them. It happens because of both subtle and hard plagiarism that has become very common on the web. There are various forms of plagiarism. Read more about them below to recognize plagiarized works on the Internet and learn more about why plagiarism is harmful to your SEO.
Types of plagiarism
- Patchwriting. It is a common practice used by writers that don’t require a spinning software. Patchwriting means rewriting content so that it will pass a plagiarism checker. Although it may look unique, the text doesn’t contain any original ideas. This kind of plagiarism causes some SEO problems. For instance, as semantic search still cannot find the value in the article when it’s rehashed, Google displays the oldest version of content to users. This way, patchwriting drives your content to lower positions.
- Accidental plagiarism. Sometimes, professional writers can unintentionally plagiarize their own content. Especially if they write many articles in a particular niche, it’s easy to forget what they wrote a few months ago and repeat the same ideas. Moreover, writers always have their individual style, so they typically use the same phrases, words, and patterns in different works.
- Copy-and-paste. Some editors may use short sections from different sites to produce a semi-cohesive idea. Of course, some duplication is inevitable when a lot of writers create content about the same subject. So search engines don’t penalize repetitions of certain phrases on the contrary to multiple passages taken from other websites.
Unfortunately, plagiarism goes both ways, which means that it can negatively affect your SEO ranking with a penalty for both plagiarizing others’ content and for having someone plagiarized your work. If thieves rip you off and use your articles, Google can decide you’re the problem and outrank your website.
It’s not that difficult to prevent unwittingly plagiarizing another web resource and control your own content, so it is not scraped. The easiest way to do it is by using special tools to monitor your content before and after it is published. This way, you will be able to detect the cases of “content theft.” You can consider one of the following services.
- Copysentry. This tool automatically checks the copies of your content on the web and emails you as soon as they appear. It is one of the most advanced plagiarism protection tools presented on the market. Copysentry ensures continuous protection of your content, even if it has been significantly modified from the original. You can even set the number of copied words required for a match and pick sites to ignore.
- Unplag allows users to immediately discover plagiarism within a text. It is considered to be an excellent tool as it scans about 4.75 billion online pages. By using Unplag, you can be sure that all your personal information remains secure because this tool has advanced levels of encryption. Users can scan texts of up to 500 words for free, but access to all features is possible only with a subscription.
- Copyleaks. This tool helps to find both identical and paraphrased content in multiple languages. It also allows you to compare a few files against one another, so you can find out if there are any repetitions in the content or notice the differences between your previous draft and the newest version of your work. With the help of Copyleaks, you can download the results of plagiarism analysis or share the link to a report with your colleagues. Besides, this tool can detect similarities in multiple file formats.
The role of plagiarism checkers is vital for a website’s success. Getting rid of duplicity is necessary for a higher ranking among your competitors. What’s more, by identifying the percentage of copied content, you can get a clear understanding of how to improve your writing.
The effects of plagiarism on SEO
Plagiarizing means taking credit for someone’s work and using others’ materials as if they were your own. People who are new to SEO usually are not aware of the consequences of such actions. Using unoriginal content can result in poor ranking as Google brings websites in top results only if they contain unique information that is valuable for readers.
An Article’s Chain Can Be To Long
Sometimes, the paraphrased article’s chain can be too long. If you are cloning content, you may not be aware that it has already been copied from somewhere else before. Using content that has already been paraphrased a few times may completely change its meaning. This fact can significantly influence the reputation of your website among readers. Moreover, your site can be de-ranked due to containing misleading information. As you see, doing your own research work is vital for publishing high-quality content on your website.
Even if you’ve properly worked on the information presented on your website, you may still have doubts about unintentional plagiarism. To make sure that you haven’t duplicated someone’s content, accidentally check this plagiarism checker out and correct any copied parts of your article. Ensure attention to the uniqueness of your content as it’s one of the most important ranking factors in Google.
You Can Not Manipulate Search Engines!
Remember that today it’s impossible to manipulate search engines like it was before. Website owners used to stuff articles with keywords and duplicated content to get to the top of search results. But since Google updated its ranking algorithms, such methods are of no use anymore. Maneuvering the search results and deceptive practices can end up with severe penalties. Google Panda update ensures that only valuable content of high-quality can be a top position of search results, while low-quality information gets a lousy ranking. This Google algorithm is aimed at providing readers with helpful non-plagiarized content. You shouldn’t even try to post plagiarized content on your website, as Google knows where the information was published for the first time. If your article doesn’t contain unique material, your web pages will be brought down soon.
To keep the ranking of your website high, you should, first of all, understand copyright laws. You need to find out your rights, how plagiarism may occur, and what you should do if your site is scraped. Plagiarism is not only illegal but also disruptive for your brand image.
Challenges for content creators
Google algorithms require writers to be extremely careful while creating their content. They need to review and recheck their work properly with the help of online software before publishing it. Changing some of the words of an already published article on another website is not enough to say that your content is original. Articles must contain unique ideas and arguments to be plagiarism-free. Google algorithms can easily identify copied content, even if it was rewritten. It is not difficult for search engines to distinguish between plagiarized and original articles and recognize the copyright offender.
Plagiarism Destroys the Readers’ Loyalty
Apart from getting a penalty from Google, using someone’s ideas is not ethical. It can ruin readers’ loyalty to your website and destroy your authority. To avoid that, you should take writing seriously and have a passion for it. View content creation as a way to express your opinion, share your own ideas and experience. Uniqueness and exclusivity will always catch the eyes of your readers. Note that authenticity is always appreciated.
To make your original content widely acknowledged, do extensive research on your topic. Don’t neglect using relevant keywords that naturally fit your article and synchronize with the flow of reading. You should also use references and cites to all the resources that have influenced your ideas.
Vendy Adams is a web content creator with extensive experience. He has been working as a content writer for more than ten years, making him gain an in-depth understanding of writing best practices. Vendy specializes in SEO content creation and shares his insights with other people on the web. He helps his readers to understand the main elements that make the article SEO-friendly and drive it to the top of the search ranking. Vendy believes that high-quality original content is the key to a website’s success. His main goal is to provide Google users with valuable information that can answer all of