This article explains how you upgrade from using one of our free themes, to one of our premium themes. We will also be covering how you can install it if you haven’t been using one of our free themes – lastly we will cover common errors & troubleshooting.
If you have been using one of our free themes, and are upgrading to the premium version, you will need to delete the free version of the theme before you can install the premium one.
The last step in the guide is for child themes only.
If you have not been using a free version of our theme, then you have to skip step 2, 3 & 10
- Login to your WordPress dashboard and go to Appearance -> Themes.
- Activate an unused theme, such as Twentyseventeen.
- Click on the free version of the theme and then click the “Delete” button in the right bottom corner (You might have to scroll down).
- Download the premium version by logging into our website.
- Go back to the WordPress dashboard and click the “Add New” button at the top.
- Click “Upload Theme”.
- Click “Choose File”.
- Choose a new version of the theme you have downloaded from our website.
- Let it install and then click activate.
- For Child Theme Users Only: Re-activate the child theme you were using to begin with.
- If you are using a Mac your browser might uncompress the theme folder, if that happens then you need to right click the folder and click ‘Compress’ before uploading.
- If you get the error upload_max_filesize in php.ini then you will need to contact your hosting company and ask them to increase the max upload filesize in php.ini, the full error message looks like this: The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini.
- If you are using a child theme then you will have to disable both the child theme and parent theme before installing the premium version of the parent theme. All premium themes from parent themes are automatically transferred to the child theme.
- If you have been using one of our free themes, and are upgrading to the premium version, you will need to delete the free version of the theme before you can install the premium one.
- The last step in the guide is for child themes only, our current child themes are: Affiliate Newspaperly.
- If you have not been using a free version of our theme, then you have to skip step 2, 3 & 10